Chicken Breast With Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 broccoli stems
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (from 12 medium)
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
1. Place chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain chicken and run under cold water. Cool completely; set aside. Using 2 forks, shred into bite-size pieces; reserve.
2. Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to remove outer layer of broccoli stems; discard. Continue peeling stems into long strips. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add broccoli strips, Brussels sprouts, celery, hazelnuts, parsley, and reserved chicken to bowl with dressing; toss. Divide among 4 shallow bowls. Top with cheese.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: Broccoli and Brussels sprouts are loaded with cancer-preventing phytonutrients, and this supercharged dinner of Chicken Breast With Shaved Brussels Sprouts provides real nutritional punch. This one-dish meal is super lean and also packs potassium--which helps to keep your blood pressure down.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups slaw and 4 ounces chicken)
|Calories per serving:||309|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||10.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||31g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||10g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||80mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||409mg|
|Calcium per serving:||141mg|
Good to Know
Broccoli and Brussels sprouts are loaded with cancer-preventing phytonutrients. This recipe also packs potassium, which helps keep your blood pressure down.