Beet Red Salad
- 2 medium red beets, or canned, peeled beets
- 1 cup dry farro or barley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 head radicchio, sliced
- 3 ounces crumbled feta
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Wrap beets in foil and place on rimmed baking sheet; bake 50-60 minutes. Let cool; peel and cut into wedges. (If using canned beets, cut into wedges and go to step 2.)
2. Cover farro with water and soak 30 minutes; drain. In a saucepan, combine farro, 3 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes; drain.
3. In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss with remaining salad ingredients, arranging beets on top.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 1 hour.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups salad)
|Calories per serving:||252|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||33g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||413mg|
|Calcium per serving:||0.0mg|
Good to Know
If you can't find farrow at the local grocery store, go ahead an swap it for barley.