Avocado Pea Soup with Herb Oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon, divided, plus more leaves for garnish
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 ripe avocado (8 ounces), peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine parsley, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons tarragon in a blender; blend until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on chopped herbs. Reserve 1 tablespoon herb oil (discard herb solids).
2. In a saucepan, combine shallots, broth, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, partially covered, until shallots are tender (10 minutes). Add peas; simmer until cooked (3 minutes).
3. Working in batches, transfer pea mixture to blender with avocado, yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons tarragon, and salt and pepper; blend until smooth. (You can also use an immersion blender to blend soup in saucepan.) Divide soup among 4 bowls, drizzle with reserved herb oil, and garnish with additional tarragon leaves.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 teaspoon herb oil)
|Calories per serving:||191|
|Fat per serving:||8.9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||22g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||1mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||276mg|
|Calcium per serving:||0.0mg|
Good to Know
Lutein and zeaxanthin, the carotenoids found in most green fruits and veggies may lower your risk of heart disease and skin cancer.