Ranch-Style Eggs with Chorizo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, puréed until smooth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, preferably ancho
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo purée
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice plus 2 teaspoons finely grated zest, divided
- 4 (6-inch) yellow or white corn tortillas
- 2 links fresh chorizo (about 4 ounces), removed from casing
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro and Cheddar cheese for serving, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (5–7 minutes). Add garlic and cook, stirring (1 minute). Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add tomato, water, chili powder, chipotle, honey, and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened (20–30 minutes). Stir in lime juice.
3. While sauce simmers, arrange tortillas on a baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake, turning once, until crisp and slightly golden (5–7 minutes).
4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring to break apart, until golden brown (about 8 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels (reserve rendered fat in the skillet). Lower heat to medium and crack eggs into skillet. Cook until the whites are completely firm but the yolks are still soft (about 2 minutes).
5. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and lime zest.
6. To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup red chile sauce on each of 4 plates. Place a crisp tortilla on top of the sauce. Divide eggs, remaining sauce, lime sour cream, and chorizo among plates. Before serving, sprinkle with cilantro, cheese, and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 tortilla, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sauce, about 3 tablespoons cooked chorizo, 1 tablespoon lime crema)
|Calories per serving:||444|
|Fat per serving:||23.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||11.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3.2g|
|Protein per serving:||17g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||210mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||732mg|
|Calcium per serving:||176mg|
Good to Know
Forget bacon! Add a bolder flavor to brunch with smoky and spicy chorizo.