- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup refrigerated coconut milk (such as So Delicious brand)
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Whisk dry ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Whisk bananas, egg, egg white, oil, vanilla, and coconut milk in another large bowl until well combined.
3. Stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in 1/4 cup of the coconut.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Top with the remaining coconut.
5. Bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean (about 25 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack and cool slightly.
Note: If you want to make a loaf, spread batter into a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan lightly coated with baking spray and flour. Bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean (50 to 55 minutes). Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack and let cool.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 25 minutes; Total time: 40 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 12 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
|Calories per serving:||265|
|Fat per serving:||10.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||15mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||194mg|
|Calcium per serving:||29mg|
Good to Know
Put overripe bananas to good use in these sweet muffins that taste like breakfast and a piña colada mixed into one.