Zucchini-Fig Mini Cakes
- Baking spray with flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound grated zucchini (4 small or 2 large)
- 2 ounces finely chopped dried figs (about 1/4 cup)
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 6-cup mini Bundt pan with spray.
2. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk egg, egg white, yogurt, and oil in a separate bowl.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just blended. Fold zucchini and figs into batter. Pour batter into pan.
4. Bake until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (40 to 45 minutes). Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes; Total time: 60 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 12 servings (serving size: 1/2 mini cake)
|Calories per serving:||178|
|Fat per serving:||5.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.6g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||29g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||19mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||213mg|
|Calcium per serving:||61mg|
Good to Know
There’s nothing “mini” about these little bites’ taste. The shrunken cakes are just as delectable as any full-size version.