Sautéed Kale with Chorizo and Crispy Garlic
- 2 pounds lacinato kale (about 4 bunches), stems and center ribs discarded
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Spanish chorizo, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Working in batches, stack kale and cut crosswise into thin (about 1/4-inch-wide) shreds.
2. Line a plate with a paper towel; set aside. Heat oil in a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Add garlic and toast, stirring frequently until golden (about 2 minutes). Transfer with a slotted spoon to plate. Discard oil.
3. In the same skillet, cook chorizo over medium-high heat until browned (2 minutes). Drain off all but 1/2 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add kale (in handfuls) and toss until just wilted and bright green (about 3-4 minutes). Add water and salt, and simmer, partially covered, until kale is just tender (6-10 minutes). Sprinkle with crisped garlic; serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Chorizo is cooked in a skillet, and is then tossed with kale and spirnkled with garlic.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||131|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.4g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||273mg|
|Calcium per serving:||158mg|
Good to Know
Greens such as kale can sometimes be bitter, but when prepared correctly—such as in this chorizo and garlic recipe—they make for a savory comfort food.