Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- Cooking spray
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 10 cup (1-inch cubes) whole-wheat bread (from 14-ounce loaf)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium shallots (1/2 pound), thinly sliced
- 2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400° with racks in upper and lower thirds. Spray 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Put dried porcinis in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let steep 30 minutes. Pour mushrooms with liquid through a paper towel-lined sieve into a bowl, pressing to extract liquid. Reserve 1 cup mushroom water. Transfer porcinis to a cutting board and chop.
3. Arrange bread in one layer in 2 large, shallow baking pans and toast, switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden and dry (10-15 minutes). Cool; transfer to large bowl.
4. Toast hazelnuts on a baking pan in oven until fragrant (6-8 minutes). Transfer to a kitchen towel and rub off loose skins. Let cool and coarsely chop.
5. Meanwhile, cook shallots in butter and oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden (about 6 minutes). Add porcinis and wild mushrooms, celery, sage, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated (20-30 minutes). Add sherry and deglaze skillet by boiling, stirring, and scraping up any brown bits, until sherry is reduced by half (about 2 minutes). Add vegetable mixture to bread in bowl. Add hazelnuts and parsley and toss.
6. Whisk together chicken broth and reserved mushroom water, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; stir into bread mixture. Transfer to baking dish. Bake, loosely covered with a sheet of foil, in lower third of oven (30 minutes). Remove foil and bake until top is browned (about 20 minutes more).
Prep: 45 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 14 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||220|
|Fat per serving:||11.4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.9g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||23g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||46mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||308mg|
|Calcium per serving:||49mg|
Good to Know
Porcini and wild mushrooms add depth of flavor, and hazelnuts bring some texture and crunch to this tasty take on stuffing.