Orange Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds thin orange and/or purple carrots with greens intact, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Bring a 5- to 6-quart pot of salted water to a boil and cook carrots until just tender (6-8 minutes). Drain well.
2. Melt butter in a large (12-inch) heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides. Add carrots and sauté 1 minute. Add orange juice, maple syrup, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Continue to boil, shaking skillet frequently, until liquid is reduced and syrupy, and carrots are tender (5-10 minutes).
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||137|
|Fat per serving:||4.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||25g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||10mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||243mg|
|Calcium per serving:||51mg|
Good to Know
Purple carrots add a pop of color to the dinner table and contain anthocyanins—a powerful antioxidant.