Balsamic Braised Cippolini Onions
- 1 pound cippolini onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400° with rack in middle.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add onions and boil 1 minute. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Let stand 1 minute, then peel using a small knife.
3. Melt butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large (12-inch) ovenproof skillet until foam from the butter subsides. Sauté onions until browned (about 5 minutes). Carefully add balsamic vinegar (it will splatter a bit), water, honey, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Transfer onions with liquid to oven. Braise, uncovered, until onions are tender and liquid is syrupy (about 1 hour). Remove bay leaf before serving.
Prep: 30 minutes; Cook: About 1 hour.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1/3 cup)
|Calories per serving:||121|
|Fat per serving:||4.4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||20g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||593mg|
|Calcium per serving:||36mg|
Good to Know
Fall is the season for these small onions, but this sweet braising technique makes for a great side dish all year long.