Two-Potato Tart Gratin
- Cooking spray
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 trans fat-free ready-made pie crust
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (2 large), peeled and sliced into 1/16-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes (1 large), peeled and sliced into 1/16-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large square baking dish with foil and place in middle of oven. Spray a 9 1/2- to 10-inch fluted tart pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Dust work surface lightly with flour. Unroll pie crust and roll dough into a 12-inch round. Fit in tart pan and press overhang inward to reinforce side. Prick bottom in several places with a fork. Chill 30 minutes (or freeze 10 minutes).
3. Place a piece of parchment over crust in tart pan and fill with pie weights. Bake in oven until dough just sets (15-20 minutes), then remove parchment and weights and bake until bottom is pale golden (5-10 minutes more). Remove from oven and immediately brush bottom with egg white; cool completely.
4. Mince and mash garlic to a paste. Add to a bowl along with cream, milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
5. Layer potatoes, alternating Yukon Golds and sweet potatoes, in tart pan. Pour cream mixture over potatoes, pressing gently to distribute liquid. Sprinkle top with Parmesan and dot with butter. Cover surface directly with a round of parchment paper.
6. Bake until potatoes are tender (test with a small sharp knife), 40-50 minutes. Remove parchment and bake until browned in spots (15-20 minutes). Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes before removing side of pan.
Prep: 35 minutes; Cook: 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1/8 of tart)
|Calories per serving:||212|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4.7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||21g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||27mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||297mg|
|Calcium per serving:||35mg|
Good to Know
Switch your starchy sides with this Yukon Gold and sweet-potato gratin. The sweet potatoes add a healthy twist with their beta-carotene—a great source of vitamin A!