Chocolate Icebox Cake With Raspberry Sauce
- 1 pint reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 pint fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 42 chocolate wafers (from 2 packages)
- 3 (6-ounce) packages fresh raspberries, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1. Line a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with 2 sheets of plastic wrap (one horizontal, and the other vertical). Let the edges overhang on each side by about 4 inches.
2. With a whisk, combine sour cream, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and a dash of salt in a large bowl until blended.
3. Arrange a layer of about 14 overlapping chocolate wafers in 2 lines on the bottom of the loaf pan, keeping the layer as level as possible. Spread with 1 cup of the sour cream mixture; repeat in the same way with 2 more layers of wafers and cream, ending with cream layer. (You may have wafers left over.) Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until wafers are very soft (at least 12 hours).
4. Meanwhile, pulse 2 packages of berries in a food processor just until broken up. Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, water, lime juice, and remaining dash of salt; pulse once or twice. Pour mixture through a coarse strainer; set over a bowl, pressing hard on solids to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have 1 cup). Refrigerate, tightly covered, until thoroughly chilled (about 1 hour); stir before using.
5. Lift icebox cake out of pan using over-hanging plastic wrap; transfer to a large plate. (Be careful, cake will be very soft.)
6. Carefully flip cake onto a cutting board, so that the chocolate wafer layer faces up. Peel back plastic wrap. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut cake crosswise into 10 slices, wiping knife clean after each cut. Arrange each slice on a plate, and pour a small pool of raspberry sauce on each plate; garnish evenly with remaining package of raspberries. Serve immediately with remaining sauce.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 10 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
|Calories per serving:||311|
|Fat per serving:||9.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.8g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||52g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||28mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||315mg|
|Calcium per serving:||127mg|
Good to Know
This cake cuts the fat you’d find in most traditional icebox cakes by replacing heavy cream with fat-free sour cream. Lime juice gives the recipe an extra kick of flavor!