Panko-Crusted Oven-"Fried" Fish
- 1 1/2 pounds thick whitefish fillets (such as cod or catfish)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), such as Ian's brand
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lime wedges for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Soak fillets in buttermilk. Coat bottom of a 13- x 9-inch metal baking pan with 1 tablespoon of oil; set aside. Put panko on a plate; add salt and pepper, and mix well to combine.
2. When oven is hot, pull fish from buttermilk; let it drain. Dredge still-wet fish in panko, patting to make sure panko adheres, then lay fillets in the prepared pan; drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
3. Bake fish in top third of oven for 8-15 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish; it will be crisp and golden on the outside and tender and opaque inside when done.
4. Serve 1 fillet on each of 4 plates with lime wedges and 1/4 of new potatoes and ketchup.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Get the delicious flavor of fried fish without all the unhealthy fat in this oven-fried fish entree.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 6 ounces fish plus 6 ounces potatoes with ketchup)
|Calories per serving:||530|
|Fat per serving:||14.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||8.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||39g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||62g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||66mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||767mg|
|Calcium per serving:||110mg|
Good to Know
Cut fat by using Panko—you won’t actually need to fry these fish fillets to get a delicious crunch. Serve with New Potatoes With Chipotle Ketchup.