Classic Crab Cakes
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, preferably whole-grain (use more as needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon wedges (optional, for serving)
- Cherry Tomato and Corn Salad
1. Combine crabmeat, egg, scallions (if using), mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add enough breadcrumbs to bind mixture enough to form into cakes. Refrigerate the mixture until you're ready to cook.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes; add oil, and heat until it shimmers. Shape crab mixture into 8 (1-inch-thick) cakes, using 1/3 cup mixture for each; cook, adjusting heat as necessary and gently turning once, until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). Serve 2 crab cakes per plate with lemon wedges and Cherry Tomato and Corn Salad.
Note: Most of the sodium in this meal is from naturally occurring sodium in the crab.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 crab cakes and about 1 1/4 cups salad)
|Calories per serving:||380|
|Fat per serving:||19.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||8.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2.1g|
|Protein per serving:||27g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||97mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||1519mg|
|Calcium per serving:||93mg|
Good to Know
Use whole-grain breadcrumbs to make these lower-cal, guilt-free crab cakes, and serve with a salad. Serve with Cherry Tomato and Corn Salad.