Mocha Coffee Cake with Espresso Glaze
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup strong freshly brewed coffee
- Sugared coffee beans:
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 whole coffee beans
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder combined with 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlúa), optional
1. Heat oven to 350° with rack in the center. Lightly coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with baking spray; set aside.
2. To make cake: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl, whisking well; set aside. Place butter in a separate bowl; beat with an electric mixer at medium-low speed, until soft and creamy. Add sugar; beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with sour cream first, then coffee. Stir well with rubber spatula; scrape any batter at the bottom to combine.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until knife tip inserted in the middle comes out clean (45-55 minutes); let cool.
4. To make sugared coffee beans: Sprinkle some superfine sugar onto a sheet of wax paper. Dip 1 coffee bean into honey, transfer wet bean to wax paper, and sprinkle with superfine sugar. Continue with the remaining coffee beans; let dry.
5. To make glaze: Combine powdered sugar, espresso powder mixture, and liqueur (if desired) in a medium bowl; stir well with a fork until smooth. Transfer cooled cake to a serving platter. Drizzle glaze generously over cake; decorate with sugared coffee beans.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This recipe makes a rich, moist cake. It tastes even better the next day.
- Yield: Makes 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
|Calories per serving:||359|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||62g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||68mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||223mg|
|Calcium per serving:||43mg|
Good to Know
Caffeine may help protect brain cells from the damage that causes Parkinson’s, dementia, and Alzheimer’s. And the antioxidants in coffee could help prevent liver disease.