Rich Coffee-Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder dissolved into 2 tablespoons boiling water
- To serve:
- 8 waffle cones (such as Keebler)
- 2 pints vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Combine sugar, water and agave nectar in a heavy medium saucepan; stir well. Cover, and boil until sugar has dissolved (about 5 minutes), stirring once or twice. Cover again, and boil until bubbles are large and mixture is thick (4 minutes). Uncover, and continue boiling 6 minutes or until mixture is golden.
2. Remove pan from heat; place bottom of hot pan in cold water. Carefully add the butter, vanilla, and salt (the mixture will bubble and hiss); stir with wooden spoon. Stir in lemon juice and espresso powder mixture. To use right away, let the sauce cool slightly to thicken. For later use, let stand at room temperature for up to one day. If the sauce hardens, warm in microwave until soft (about 15-25 seconds).
3. To serve: Fill a waffle cone with 1/2 cup frozen yogurt. Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce over the frozen yogurt; top with 1 teaspoon toasted almonds. Repeat with the remaining cones. Store leftover sauce, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 cone)
|Calories per serving:||253|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||6g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||41g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.0g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||42mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||233mg|
|Calcium per serving:||132mg|
Good to Know
This delicious topping, with espresso powder and diabetes-friendly agave nectar, sweetens up low-fat frozen yogurt. Sprinkle almonds on your sundae for a heart-healthy crunch.