Classic French Toast with Berries
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (3/4-inch) slices whole-grain country bread (about 1 1/2 ounces per slice)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 8 teaspoons maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 200°.
2. Place a large shallow baking dish in oven to warm.
3. Combine first 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. (You should have about 2 cups batter.) Place 2 slices of bread in batter; soak 1-2 minutes.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Remove bread slices from the batter; drain slightly. Place bread in skillet; cook until golden (2-3 minutes on each side), flipping once. Transfer toast to warm baking dish in oven. Repeat steps with the remaining bread slices.
5. Place 2 slices of French toast on 4 plates. Sprinkle each plate with 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar; top with 1/4 cup each of blueberries and raspberries. Drizzle each plate with 2 teaspoons maple syrup before serving.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 slices french toast, 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, and 1/2 cup berries)
|Calories per serving:||296|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||16g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||41g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||113mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||465mg|
|Calcium per serving:||188mg|
Good to Know
Skinny up your breakfast with this healthy take on French toast. Use egg whites and reduced fat milk to make each piece of fiber-rich bread light and fluffy. Fresh berries add in disease-fighting antioxidants.