Penne Rigate Arrabiata
- 1 (26.46-ounce) box strained tomatoes (such as Pomi)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne rigate (tube-shaped pasta with ridges)
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1. Heat a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, oil, salt, and pepper flakes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until very thick (about 20 minutes), whisking frequently to prevent sticking.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
3. Transfer pasta to serving bowls; top with tomato sauce, Parmesan, and basil. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||298|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||48g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||6mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||257mg|
|Calcium per serving:||98mg|
Good to Know
Hearty whole-wheat pasta, tomato, and crushed red pepper give this dish a hefty dose of fiber and flavor with little saturated fat. Tomatoes are good for your skin and can help prevent several types of cancer.