Whole-Wheat Linguine with Saffron and Roasted Red Peppers
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat linguine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin rings
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (1 1/2- x 1/4-inch) strips jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 20 large curls Parmesan cheese removed with a vegetable peeler (2 ounces)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saffron; cook until onions are softened (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly. Stir in bell peppers, capers, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until heated through (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Add the pasta and the reserved pasta liquid to sauce in the skillet; cook until heated through (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to serving bowls; top with Parmesan curls. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||357|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||14g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||54g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||463mg|
|Calcium per serving:||191mg|
Good to Know
Red bell pepper contains a hefty dose of immunity-boosting vitamin C and brightens up this fiber-filled, whole-wheat pasta dish.