Deep Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup sifted natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350°. Coat 2 (9- x 1 1/2 -inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Cover bottoms of pans with parchment paper. Coat parchment with cooking spray; set aside.
2. To make cake: Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, whisking well. In a separate medium bowl, combine coffee, oil, egg whites, vinegar, and vanilla, whisking well. Combine coffee mixture and flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans; tap pans on a work surface to break air pockets.
3. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean (30-35 minutes). Cool in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around outside edges of cakes; invert cakes onto cooling rack. Remove parchment; cool completely on rack.
4. To make frosting: Place egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt in a large deep heatproof bowl set over about 1 1/2 inches of simmering water; beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until peaks form when beaters are lifted (about 7 minutes). Remove bowl from saucepan; continue beating until frosting is cool (about 3 minutes). Beat in vanilla.
5. Carefully place 1 cake layer on a plate. Using a spatula, spread a layer of frosting over top of cake; top with remaining cake. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of entire cake.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
|Calories per serving:||352|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||64g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||295mg|
|Calcium per serving:||10mg|
Good to Know
Unsweetened cocoa powder, coffee, and egg whites lightens up this fluffy favorite.