Turkey, Pine Nut, and Currant Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pine nuts, toasted
- 4 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small bunch kale (tough stems discarded), chopped
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
1. In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients (through pine nuts), 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and pepper. Form into 24 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat; brown meatballs in 2 batches (adding the remaining oil for second batch), turning after 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
3. Add kale and sauce to pan; bring to simmer. Place meatballs in skillet; simmer, uncovered, until cooked through and sauce is reduced (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan; serve with a slice of crusty bread, if desired.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 16 minutes; Total time: 36 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: about 4-5 meatballs plus sauce)
|Calories per serving:||289|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||21g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||46mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||612mg|
|Calcium per serving:||150mg|
Good to Know
A great source of lean protein, this dish is packed with nutrients. Currants add a dose of potassium and fiber.