BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 3/4 pounds sliced onion (about 3)
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 4 thighs)
- 1/2 cup jarred barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or honey
- 6 ounces cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, toasted
1. Preheat broiler. Place onion and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet; toss with oil. Broil 5 minutes, 6 inches from heat, until onion is golden, stirring often.
2. Preheat oven to 425°. Transfer onion mixture to a square glass baking dish; top with chicken. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken; cover tightly with foil. Bake, in middle of oven, until chicken is cooked through (about 20 minutes).
3. Combine sour cream, vinegar, and honey; whisk well. Toss with coleslaw mix and pepper.
4. Shred chicken with a fork; top bottoms of rolls with chicken, onion, sauce mixture, and coleslaw. Place roll tops on sandwiches.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: These easy barbecue sandwiches take only 35 minutes to make and have 12 grams of fat per serving–much less than a traditional barbecue pork sandwich.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
|Calories per serving:||455|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||29g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||57g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||77mg|
|Iron per serving:||10mg|
|Sodium per serving:||669mg|
|Calcium per serving:||94mg|
Good to Know
Enjoy barbeque flavor without the added fat and calories. Using low-fat sour cream keeps this feeling meal light!