Light Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces good-quality dark-chocolate chunks (60-70% cocoa solids), such as Scharffen Berger
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars; beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil and eggs; beat until creamy. Stir in vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir well. Gently fold in chocolate, cherries, and almonds.
4. Scoop batter by heaping tablespoons onto 2 baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Bake cookies in 2 batches in upper and lower third of oven until golden on top and bottom (12-15 minutes). Transfer cookies on parchment paper to a wire rack; cool (cookies will crisp as they cool). Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container (they will keep for up to 4 days).
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 36-40 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)
|Calories per serving:||104|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||2g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||13g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||31mg|
|Calcium per serving:||18mg|
Good to Know
Make each cookie super-satisfying by adding dried fruit and chopped or sliced nuts. Dark chocolate is rich in heart-healthy antioxidants, and using whole-wheat flour adds fiber and more nutrients!