Spanish Spice-Rubbed Lamb Tenderloin with Farro Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup farro (available at igourmet.com)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons aged sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 8 baby lamb chops (about 3 ounces each), frenched and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Heat a medium saucepan over high heat. Add water, farro, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and continue cooking until farro is tender (about 30 minutes). Drain well, then transfer the farro to a large bowl.
2. Add olive oil, vinegar, mint, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to farro; toss well. Top with the goat cheese and pine nuts; set aside.
3. Combine paprika, cumin, mustard, fennel, and remaining salt and pepper in a small bowl; whisk well.
4. Press each side of lamb chops into spice rub. Heat canola oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Place lamb in pan; cook until golden and a crust has formed (2-3 minutes). Turn lamb over and continue cooking about 3-4 minutes. Remove lamb from pan; let rest 5 minutes.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups farro salad and 2 chops)
|Calories per serving:||558|
|Fat per serving:||29g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||14g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Protein per serving:||41g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||35g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||107mg|
|Iron per serving:||6mg|
|Sodium per serving:||522mg|
|Calcium per serving:||109mg|
Good to Know
Lamb, a tender variety of red meat, is rich in selenium. Deficiencies in this mineral have been shown to double the occurrence of asthma attacks. It’s also a great source of protein and amino acids.