Mozzarella, Raspberry, and Brown Sugar Panini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices bakery-style white bread
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and patted dry
- Salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1. Preheat panini press or grill pan.
2. Using a pastry brush, brush oil on both sides of bread. Spread jam evenly over 1 side of each slice of bread; sprinkle with rosemary. Cut mozzarella into 8 slices; place 2 slices of cheese on each of 4 bread slices. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over cheese, if desired; top with remaining 4 slices of bread, jam side down. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar.
3. Grill panini in a panini press until cheese has melted and bread is golden and crispy (about 3 minutes). If you do not have a panini press or indoor grill, use a ridged grill pan: Put sandwiches in pan (in batches, if necessary); place a weight, such as a brick wrapped in aluminum foil or a heavy cast-iron skillet, on top to press them down. Brown the first side (about 2-3 minutes), flip the sandwich, replace the weight, and brown the other side (about 2-3 minutes) to finish melting the cheese. Cut paninis in half; serve.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 panini)
|Calories per serving:||269|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||29g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||23mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||188mg|
|Calcium per serving:||41mg|
Good to Know
Raspberry jam contrasts the mozzarella cheese perfectly, but also gives this panini a natural sweetness without too many added calories.