Baked Two-Cheese Penne with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked whole-wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 ounce smoked Gouda, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1. Heat oven to 350°. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; add pasta, and cook 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium, and add olive oil to pan. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook 12 minutes until flour begin to brown. Stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking well to ensure a smooth sauce. Stir in cheeses; whisk until completely melted. Stir in cooked pasta. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
4. Top pasta mixture with panko; bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until top begins to brown and cheese is bubbly.
5. While pasta mixture bakes, place roasted bell pepper and yogurt in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Cut baked pasta evenly into 4 pieces, and place on 4 serving dishes; drizzle each serving with roasted red pepper sauce.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: You'll love this twist on traditional macaroni and cheese, and so will your kids. Cheese adds fat-burning CLA.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 of penne and 2 tablespoons sauce)
Resistant Starch: 2g
|Calories per serving:||433|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||0.0%|
|Fat per serving:||16g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||17g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||56g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||29mg|
|Sodium per serving:||528mg|
Good to Know
You'll love this twist on traditional macaroni and cheese, and so will your kids. Cheese adds fat-burning CLA.
Resistant Starch: 2g