Endive, Pear, and Blue Cheese Salad
- 1/4 cup walnuts, halved
- 1 (1-ounce) slice rye bread, cubed
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 assorted firm-ripe pears, such as Bosc, Anjou, or Bartlett
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (1%)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds endive, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1. Preheat oven to 400°. On a small baking sheet, combine walnuts, bread cubes, rosemary, garlic, and olive oil; toss well. Toast until fragrant (5-6 minutes); let cool.
2. Halve, core, and slice pears. In a small bowl, combine pear slices and 1 teaspoon lemon juice; toss well.
3. In another small bowl, combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, buttermilk, Worcestershire, pepper, and half of blue cheese.
4. Arrange endive on plate or platter with pears. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and walnut mixture; drizzle with dressing.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 22 minutes; Total time: 42 minutes.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 2 1/4 cups salad and 2 tablespoons dressing)
|Calories per serving:||235|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||32g|
|Fiber per serving:||9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||310mg|
|Calcium per serving:||202mg|
Good to Know
This unique, savory dish offers a healthy dose of vitamins and good fats. Perfect for a heart-healthy diet!