Ultimate Apple Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons block-style, reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- 3 pounds peeled apples (a mix of Gala and Granny Smith), cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
1. Place flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 15-20 times. Add butter and cream cheese; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and lemon juice; pulse just until dough forms.
2. Transfer dough to a floured surface; form into a disk. Separate disk into 2 halves; wrap both tightly in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Turn 1 dough half out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 13-inch round; transfer to parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate. Fit remaining circle of dough into pie plate; trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Using a fork, lightly pierce dough all over; chill until firm (about 20 minutes), or freeze 10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine apples and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg). Spoon filling into dough in pie plate; top with chilled dough. Fold overhang under edge of bottom dough; crimp overlap decoratively. Brush egg over dough; bake in middle of oven 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are tender. Let cool. Cut into 8 slices, top with 1/4 cup ice cream; serve.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice plus 1/4 cup ice cream)
|Calories per serving:||260|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||54g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||55mg|
|Calcium per serving:||84mg|
Good to Know
By wrapping heart-healthy apples in whole-wheat dough, this recipe allows you to bake a pie with a much lower calorie count. Light cream cheese keeps each bite soft and delicious.