Sweet Potato Gratin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan halves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 pounds peeled Russet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add breadcrumbs, pecans, and half of garlic. Cook mixture until crumbs are golden (about 5 minutes), stirring well. Remove from heat; set aside. Coat an 8- x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; arrange potato slices in dish, alternating between sweet and Russet. Combine half-and-half and next 5 ingredients (through thyme) in a small bowl. Stir in remaining half of garlic; whisk well. Pour half-and-half mixture over potatoes in dish. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake in middle of oven 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
2. Remove foil; discard. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over potatoes; return to oven. Bake until crumbs are crispy, liquid is bubbling and reduced, and potatoes are tender (about 8 minutes). Let stand at least 15 minutes; serve.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 58 minutes; Total Time: 1 hour and 18 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
|Calories per serving:||260|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||6g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||43g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||14mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||261mg|
|Calcium per serving:||76mg|
Good to Know
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious – they’re loaded with vitamins and dietary fiber. Cholesterol-lowering pecans are an added bonus.