Creamy Turnip-Potato Purée
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
1. Place turnips, potatoes, and garlic in a 5-quart pot. Cover with cold water to 2 inches above the vegetables; bring to a boil. Add salt; simmer, uncovered, until tender (about 15 minutes).
2. Drain the vegetables in a colander; return to pot. Cook over medium heat to remove excess water, stirring well (about 5 minutes). Stir in the remaining ingredients; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||91|
|Fat per serving:||1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||3mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||228mg|
|Calcium per serving:||49mg|
Good to Know
Turnips are a starch vegetable like potatoes with two-thirds less calories. This light and fluffy puree could fool any mashed potato lover.