Classic Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 pound top round roast, at room temperature, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 carrots
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 ribs celery, quartered
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large russet potato (about 14 oz.)
- 1 small rutabaga (about 14 oz.)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
Preparation1. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy pot, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Add beef in a single layer without crowding pot; cook, turning, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
2. Stir tomato paste into browned bits in pot; cook, stirring, until paste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring to lift browned bits from bottom. Simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
3. Cut 2 carrots into 4 pieces and remaining 2 into 1/2-inch dice. Set aside diced carrots; add carrot pieces, onions, celery, broth, bay leaves, and beef to pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Simmer stew until beef is firm, about 1 1/2 hours. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables; discard. Peel and cut potato and rutabaga into 1-inch cubes. Add to pot along with diced carrots; cover and return to a simmer. Simmer until beef shreds when pierced with a fork and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir peas into stew, if desired, and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 6
|Calories per serving:||385|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||65mg|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Protein per serving:||32g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||28g|
|Sodium per serving:||378mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Calcium per serving:||82mg|