Chicken and Toasted Orzo Soup with Celery Greens
- 1 whole bone-in chicken breast (about 1 1/2 lb.), skin removed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 celery heart
- 4 carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
Preparation1. In a large, heavy pot, cover chicken and thyme with 8 cups water. Season with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. While water comes to a boil (may take up to 20 minutes), remove 4 outer ribs and cut remaining 2 into 2-inch pieces. Remove pale leaves from inner ribs and coarsely chop leaves; set aside. Peel carrots and halve lengthwise. Thinly slice 2 carrots and cut remaining 2 into 2-inch pieces. Peel onions; chop 1 and quarter other. In a bowl, combine chopped onion and sliced carrots and celery; transfer remaining vegetables to pot with chicken.
3. Cover pot and simmer over medium-low heat until chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and transfer to a plate to cool slightly; strain broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl (discard solids). Wipe pot dry; return to stove over medium-high heat.
4. Melt butter in pot; add reserved vegetables and orzo and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender and orzo is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add broth, cover and bring to a boil; cook until orzo is al dente, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and celery leaves. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Slice chicken and transfer to 4 bowls. Ladle soup over chicken and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 4
|Calories per serving:||314|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||102mg|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||32g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||22g|
|Sodium per serving:||437mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Calcium per serving:||34mg|