Watercress, Clementine, and Roasted Fennel Salad
- 1 pound fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, halved, and sliced lengthwise (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh clementine or orange juice
- 1 finely chopped shallot (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4-ounce) bag watercress sprigs (6 cups), or 1 small bunch watercress, stems removed
- 5 clementines or 2 navel oranges, peeled and sectioned (about 1 cup sections)
- 1 cup torn radicchio leaves
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine fennel, 1 teaspoon oil, salt, and pepper on a shallow baking sheet; roast, turning occasionally until golden on edges and tender (about 20 minutes).
2. While fennel is roasting, combine juice and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add remaining 3 teaspoons oil, stirring well; set aside.
3. Place watercress, clementine or orange sections, radicchio, and roasted fennel in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well. Garnish with pomegranate seeds; serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Had it with ho-hum greens? Try this intoxicating mix of watercress, fennel, and fresh citrus.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 13/4 cups salad mixture and 2 tablespoons dressing)
|Calories per serving:||136|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0mg|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||23g|
|Sugars per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||129mg|
|Calcium per serving:||111mg|
Good to Know
This light and healthy salad is the perfect complement to any meal.