Black Bean Cakes with Queso Fresco
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (pasteurized)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup salsa fresca
- Minced fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place beans in a large bowl; mash lightly with a fork. Add eggs and cheese; whisk with fork until combined.
2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft and golden (2-3 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro; remove from heat.
3. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper (taking into account how well-seasoned your beans were initially) into bowl with beans. Add onion mixture; stir with fork just until combined. (The consistency should be like thick cookie dough. If not, add a bit of flour).
4. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and set aside. Using a large spoon or your hands, form bean mixture into 8 cakes; place onto prepared pan. Bake until golden and crisp (about 30 minutes); serve hot or at room temperature with salsa and cilantro, if desired.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 35 minutes; Total time: 40 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 bean cakes plus 1/4 cup salsa)
Cilantro, onion, and garlic perk up these earthy bean cakes; feel free to throw in a minced fresh jalapeño if you like your black beans on the fiery side.
|Calories per serving:||344|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||19g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44g|
|Fiber per serving:||13g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||111mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||562mg|
|Calcium per serving:||151mg|