Tomato and Bread Soup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (canned is fine; include the juices)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 thick slices whole-grain bread
- 1 large garlic clove, halved or crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add onion, carrot, salt, and pepper; cook until onion softens (3-5 minutes), stirring often.
2. Add tomato and thyme; cook until tomato breaks up (10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add broth and sugar; stir. Cook until hot; simmer 5 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler to medium-high heat. Place rack 4 inches from heat.
4. Brush both sides of bread lightly with remaining oil; broil until golden (5 minutes). Rub sides of bread with garlic; break into pieces. Divide among bowls.
5. Add more stock to soup if too thick; cook until hot. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan. Top with thyme, if desired.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes; Total time: 25 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 slice bread)
|Calories per serving:||236|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||26g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||2mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||424mg|
|Calcium per serving:||92mg|