Chard with Blood Oranges and Pistachios
- 1 pound Swiss chard, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small unpeeled blood orange or tangerine, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
1. Remove stems from chard leaves. Cut leaves into wide ribbons; slice stems. Keep leaves and stems separate.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; cover. When hot, add shallots and sugar; cook 1 minute. Stir in orange; reduce heat to low, stirring frequently until shallots and orange are caramelized (about 10 minutes). Add vinegar.
3. Return heat to medium; stir in chard stems. Cook until softened, stirring frequently (1-2 minutes). Add chard ribbons; cover and let steam 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off heat; re-cover pan 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with pistachios; serve hot or at room temperature.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
|Calories per serving:||162|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||15g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||293mg|
|Calcium per serving:||80mg|