Baked Two-Cheese Penne with Roasted Pepper Sauce
- 8 ounces dried whole wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons trans fat-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 ounce smoked Gouda, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek low-fat yogurt
1. Heat oven to 350°. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; add noodles, and cook 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium; add margarine, and cook until margarine melts. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes until flour begin to brown. Stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking well to ensure a smooth sauce. Stir in cheeses; whisk until completely melted. Stir in cooked noodles. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
4. Top noodles with breadcrumbs; bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until top begins to brown and cheese is bubbly.
5. While noodles bake, place roasted bell pepper and yogurt in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Drizzle over squares of baked noodles and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 4 servings
|Calories per serving:||420|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||17g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||56g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||30mg|
|Sodium per serving:||570mg|
|Rs per serving:||2g|
Good to Know
You'll love this twist on the traditional macaroni and cheese, and so will your kids. Real cheese brings fat-burning CLA to the table.