Spanish-Style Shrimp with Yellow Rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1. Combine garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Add rice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and turmeric. Add 21/2 cups cold water; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 4 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in peas and let stand, covered, until ready to serve.
3. Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 shrimp in center of pan. When the shrimp begins to sizzle, add remaining shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until opaque. Add sherry, if desired, during the last minute of cooking, and toss to coat. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with parsley. Fluff rice and serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Top yellow rice and peas with seasoned sauteed shrimp for a healthy, Spanish-inspired main dish.
- Yield: 4 servings
|Calories per serving:||430|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||31g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||56g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||170mg|
|Sodium per serving:||470mg|
|Rs per serving:||3.8g|
Good to Know
Many Spanish dishes call for super-pricey saffron. To save money, weï¿½ve substituted turmeric, a spice that lends a similar flavor and color for a fraction of the cost.