Middle Eastern Rice Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Remove from heat, and stir in chickpeas, cumin, and salt. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
2. Combine rice, onion-chickpea mixture, dates, mint, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss well until thoroughly combined. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Transform a bowl of brown rice into a Middle Eastern salad with the addition of chickpeas, mint, cumin and dates. The flavors really jazz up this healthy side dish.
- Yield: 4 servings
|Calories per serving:||380|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||67g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||360mg|
|Resistant starch per serving:||4.1g|
Good to Know
The dates in this recipe provide plenty of appetite-suppressing fiber, while the brown rice and chickpeas pack more than 4 grams of RS per serving.