- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3 ounces crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Process 10 seconds or until oats are finely chopped. Add margarine; process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl; stir in cherries and ginger.
4. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to dry mixture; stir just until a sticky dough forms.
5. Transfer dough to parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and pat into a 9-inch circle (about 1 inch thick). Sprinkle with all-purpose flour, if necessary, to keep dough from sticking to hands.
6. Divide dough by hand or with a knife into 8 equal wedges. Separate wedges slightly, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: These scones are made with whole wheat pastry flour and rolled oats and flavored with sweetened dried cherries and crystallized ginger.
- Yield: 8 servings
|Calories per serving:||348|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||6g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||53g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||31mg|
|Sodium per serving:||271mg|
|Rs per serving:||1.2g|
Good to Know
Bet you never thought you’d be eating scones while you were on a diet. High in fiber, protein, and Resistant Starch, these scones will keep you satisfied in every way.