Caramelized Onion-Veggie Burger
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 whole-grain buns
- 8 tomato slices (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Pulse first 3 ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a skillet; turn down to medium, and cook onion, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushroom mixture, and cook, stirring, about 2-3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and let cool.
3. Stir cooled mushroom mixture into lentils, and combine with next 3 ingredients (through salt) until well-combined. Form mixture into 6 patties (about 1/2 cup each). Put cornmeal on a shallow plate, and coat burgers evenly.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook burgers about 3 minutes or until golden brown on underside. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Cook about 3 minutes more or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve burgers on buns topped with tomato and basil, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This delicious veggie burger is a healthy and savory choice for a summer entrée.
- Yield: Makes 8 burgers (serving size: 1 burger)
|Calories per serving:||337|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||14g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||53g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||32mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||653mg|
|Calcium per serving:||108mg|