Veggie Stack with Basil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) eggplant, cut crosswise into 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 (5-ounce) yellow squash, cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 (5-ounce) zucchini, cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 small red onion, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) rings
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus additional leaves for garnish
1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Reserve 1/4 of vinaigrette. Add eggplant, squash, and zucchini. Let stand 20 minutes.
2. Bring 1 cup water to a boil, and stir in couscous. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cover and keep warm.
3. Preheat a lightly oiled grill or grill pan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook eggplant, squash, zucchini, and onion, turning, 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender. Cook tomatoes 30 seconds per side or until grill marks appear. Make 4 stacks, beginning with a slice of eggplant, then 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Continue stacking vegetables, ending with 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Grill stacks (or bake at 350° for 5 minutes), covered, 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
4. Stir reserved vinaigrette into couscous with chopped basil; spoon onto plates. Top with stacks. Garnish with additional basil, and serve.
Prep: 20 minutes; Marinate: 20 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 veggie stack, plus a little more than 1/2 cup couscous)
|Calories per serving:||309|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||46g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||8mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||157mg|
|Calcium per serving:||145mg|