Grilled Asparagus and 6-Minute Egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped truffle or truffle oil
- 16 asparagus spears
- 4 ounces pancetta, sliced thin
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs, preferably organic
1. To make aioli, place egg yolk in a bowl (do not use stainless steel). Slowly add oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until thickened. Add vinegar and truffle or truffle oil.
2. Preheat grill to medium. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and prepare a bowl of ice water.
3. Snap off tough ends of asparagus spears. Wrap a strip of pancetta around middle of a pair of spears. Grill wrapped asparagus bundles for 6 minutes or until pancetta is crispy.
4. Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, remove middle of each bread slice; discard edges. Brush both sides of each round with butter. Grill bread on each side; set aside.
5. Cook eggs for 6 minutes in boiling water; place in ice bath to cool. Peel eggs and cut them in half, being very careful not to let yolks fall out.
6. Place 2 bread rounds on each of 4 serving plates; top with some truffle aioli. Place 1 bunch asparagus on each bread round; top with an egg half.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 12 minutes. This recipe calls for an aioli, which uses a raw egg. If you're pregnant or have food-safety concerns, use a pasteurized egg. And cook the other 4 eggs about 4 minutes more (total of 10 minutes) or until they are completely hard-boiled.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 asparagus bundles and 1 egg)
|Calories per serving:||413|
|Fat per serving:||33g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||17g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||16g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||15g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||292mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||743mg|
|Calcium per serving:||77mg|