Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin tin.
2. Place flours in a bowl. Sift sugar, baking soda, and salt into bowl.
3. Whisk butter and oil in a bowl. Add buttermilk and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla), whisking until well-combined. Add dry ingredients to wet.
4. Divide batter evenly among liners, and bake in middle of oven about 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Pipe frosting on cakes with a star-tipped pastry bag.
Skinny it up! Skip the frosting for a 216-calorie treat.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Give red velvet cupcakes a citrusy twist by topping with Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Yield: Makes 12 regular cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)
|Calories per serving:||390|
|Fat per serving:||16.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6.7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.9g|
|Protein per serving:||6.7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||55.9g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||52mg|
|Iron per serving:||1.6mg|
|Sodium per serving:||282mg|
|Calcium per serving:||76mg|
Good to Know
Tangy buttermilk and a hint of cocoa give these classic cakes their signature flavor, while the low-fat cream cheese frosting adds a decadent touch without all the calories.