Spring Salad of Roasted Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Toasted Pine Nuts
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 8 whole jarred pickled beets, drained and quartered (about 6 1/2 ounces)
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 cups spring salad greens
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 ounce crumbled goat cheese
1. Whisk together 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in 1 tablespoon oil and then 1 tablespoon hot water until well-blended. Toss beets in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of the vinaigrette, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 450°. Toss asparagus with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a small shallow baking pan. Arrange in a single layer in pan, and sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; roast in middle of oven, shaking pan occasionally, for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and just tender. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and return to oven for 1 minute or until vinegar is reduced to a glaze.
3. Arrange salad greens, asparagus, and reserved beets on 4 plates, and sprinkle with pine nuts and goat cheese. Drizzle salad with remaining vinaigrette, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Pair roasted red and golden beets and goat cheese with crisp baby greens and walnuts for a salad that screams summertime. Ready in under 30 minutes, this side dish is healthy, plus quick and easy.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup salad, 1 tablespoon vinaigrette, and 1/4 pound asparagus (about 6 spears))
|Calories per serving:||144|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||14g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||6mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||188mg|
|Calcium per serving:||76mg|