Maple-Glazed Salmon with Warm Wheat Berry Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds salmon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 cups mâche lettuce
1. Bring 4 cups water to boil; add wheat berries. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour or until tender and most of liquid is absorbed. Drain; set aside.
2. Cook carrots and celery in 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over moderate heat for 3 minutes or until tender. Add wheat berries and cranberries, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until hot. Transfer to serving bowl, and stir in next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Cover and keep warm.
3. Preheat oven to 450°. Brush a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon olive oil; arrange salmon, skin side down. Combine maple syrup and mustard; spread on top of salmon. Roast in middle of oven for 7 minutes. Turn broiler on; broil salmon for 3–4 minutes or until golden on top. Transfer salmon to a cutting board, and cut half of it into 4 (6-ounce) pieces; reserve the rest.
4. Reserve 1 1/2 cups wheat berry mixture. Stir mâche into the remaining wheat berry salad. Serve each piece of salmon on top of salad.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 1 hour 15 minutes; Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (plus leftovers) (serving size: 6 ounces salmon and 1 cup salad)
|Calories per serving:||419|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Protein per serving:||42g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||107mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||312mg|
|Calcium per serving:||60mg|