Lemon-and-Sage Roasted Chicken
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 (6-pound) chicken
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound parsnips, peeled and trimmed
- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and trimmed
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place 6 lemon slices and sage leaves under skin of chicken. Put remaining lemon into cavity. Tie legs together with twine, and tuck wings under. Brush 1 teaspoon oil over chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan; roast in lower third of oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let rest for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut root vegetables into matchsticks. Toss with potatoes in a baking pan with remaining oil and thyme. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Remove skin from chicken. Discard lemons from cavity. Slice enough chicken to serve 4 (such as breasts), and serve with half of vegetables.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time: This roasted chicken recipe is incredibly flavorful when cooked to perfection and pairs well with fresh, seasonal vegetables.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (plus leftovers) (serving size: 1/8 of chicken and 1/2 cup roasted vegetables)
|Calories per serving:||292|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||37g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||22g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||96mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||120mg|
|Calcium per serving:||63mg|