Steak with Sautéed Fennel and Olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (1-inch-thick) strip steaks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 thinly sliced fennel bulbs, plus 1 tablespoon fronds
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably oil-cured)
- 1 jalapeño (preferably red), seeded and thinly sliced
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook steaks for 4–6 minutes per side for medium-rare or to desired doneness. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
2. Wipe out skillet, and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the fennel and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5–6 minutes or until slightly browned and just tender.
3. Stir in olives and jalapeño, and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with fennel fronds, and serve alongside the sliced steak.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 13 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 6 ounces steak and about 1 cup vegetables)
|Calories per serving:||360|
|Fat per serving:||22g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||13g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||30g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||11g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||74mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||655mg|
|Calcium per serving:||74mg|