Sweet Potato Pie with Pumpkinseed Crunch
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, baked and mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons turbinado or raw sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkinseeds
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Working with prepared dough, press down edges with floured fork tines, leaving 1-inch between crimping. Freeze 10 minutes or until firm.
2. Line bottom of dough with foil; top with pie weights. Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes or until set. Remove weights and foil, and return to oven. Bake 8-10 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
3. Whisk together mashed sweet potato with whole eggs, 1 egg white, 1/2 cup maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Spoon into shell, and brush edges with remaining egg white; sprinkle with sugar. Bake in middle of oven 40 minutes or until set. (If crust is becoming too brown, cover with foil.) Transfer to a wire rack.
4. Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray. Toast pumpkinseeds in a skillet 1-2 minutes or until syrup has reduced and seeds are golden. Transfer to foil; spread in 1 layer. Let cool 15 minutes. Crumble, and garnish pie. Slice and serve.
- Prep Time: In this pie, sweet potatoes are dressed up with maple syrup, ginger, and nutmeg. It's the perfect dessert for any fall occasion, not to mention on the lighter side.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
|Calories per serving:||331|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||46g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||75mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||198mg|
|Calcium per serving:||67mg|