Apple-Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths, plus more for garnish
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 3/4 cups quartered shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spread oil in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish; place squash on half of pan, cut sides down. Arrange apples, onions, and mushrooms in 1 layer on other half of pan. Roast in middle of oven 45 minutes or until tender.
2. Remove from oven. Turn squash cut side up to cool. When cool enough to handle, purée squash in a food processor in batches with broth, Parmesan, garlic, half of the onions and apples, and three-fourths of the mushrooms until smooth. Transfer purée to a large saucepan.
3. Add remaining roasted apples and onions to pan with 1 cup water to reach desired consistency. Bring to a simmer. Ladle into 4 bowls, garnish with apple slices, remaining mushrooms, and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Time-saver alert! Make a double batch of this soup and freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Just thaw, heat, and serve for a last-minute dinner.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Celebrate the best of fall flavors with this soup that pairs Granny Smith apples with butternut squash. Serve with crusty French bread for a complete meal.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup)
|Calories per serving:||264|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||42g|
|Fiber per serving:||9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||151mg|
|Calcium per serving:||162mg|